iRetire4Him - The Lie of the American Dream
Part 1 - what we think is true
I've been thinking lately about the American Dream. Have you taken time to consider it? How does belief in the American Dream impact our lives? When I hold this idea up to the light of scripture, does it lose its appeal?
Let's list the many facets of the American Dream:
1. You can do anything you want if you put your mind to it.
2. The ultimate goal is the accumulation of many assets.
3. He/She who dies with the most stuff wins.
4. The last day I work will be the day I retire and I will never work another day in my life.
5. Retirement is for relaxing and playing golf and going on vacation - 30 years of bliss because I deserve it
6. I deserve it, I am an American
In view of my American perspective, this list seems pretty reasonable. However, what do they look like in light of scripture? Let's pray this week and ask God to reveal His truth about the American Dream and the life He calls us to. Do they line up?
We ask God to give you complete knowledge of his will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding.
I look forward to talking to you more about this next week!
Next week - The lie of the American Dream - Part 2 - reality in the face of scripture.
About the Author, Jim Brangenberg
Jim's Mission: To transform Christian-run businesses through mentoring Christian Business Owners (CBOs) by incorporating the servant leadership of Jesus Christ in their businesses, their home life and their walk with Christ.