Rainy Days and Mondays
Back in the early ‘70s, The Carpenters came out with a song called “Rainy Days and Mondays”. Even though I was only 5 years old when this song came out, it has stuck with me all these years. When it rains on a Monday, it is just about impossible to get excited about going to work. However, let’s be clear – I still get out of bed and go to work, but I would rather grab a good book and curl up by a fake Florida fireplace to read.
What is it about Mondays? In my opinion, it is all about attitude and actions. I don’t know about you, but I tend to put a lot of emphasis on filling my weekends with a lot of activity. Instead, I find I should be putting more emphasis on recharging and resting for the week ahead.
You may disagree. You may be thinking, “The weekends are mine and I want to get the most out of them possible”. There is truth in that as well. However, when I am tired and exhausted it is almost impossible for me to have a good attitude.
REASONS WHY MONDAYS ARE A BLESSING
Did you know that Monday is the number one day for people to call in sick? It is such a temptation to look at Monday as a downer instead of the incredible blessing that it is. Blessing, you say? Yes, a blessing. Here is what I mean:
- Going to work on Monday means you have a job.
- Going to work on Monday means you have an employer that believes in you and is willing to invest money in you each and every day. In fact, that employer is so enamored with you, he/she is willing to pay you for days you don’t work – vacation and sick days.
- Going to work on Monday means you have a purpose in life and you are able to use your God-given gifts, talents and abilities to accomplish that purpose.
- Going to work on Monday means you will have food to eat, clothes to wear and a home to sleep in.
- Going to work on Monday means you are better off than 85% of the world’s population.
START THE WEEK OFF WITH AN ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE
So step back and think: Am I grateful for rainy days and Mondays? Am I grateful for a job that pays me? Am I thankful that someone is willing to invest in me?