What Did You Accomplish in 2016?
New Year’s resolutions –
do they ever work? Almost never. That is why we need to take a new approach. I call it the RETROSPECTIVE RESOLUTION.
Here's how it works:
1. You determine how you want to be able respond when someone asks you on 12/31/16 “What did you accomplish this year?” You determine this answer in 4 key areas:
2. You start to live your life in 2016 as if those things are a given.
For me, it looks like this:
In 2016, I was able to deepen my walk with Christ by...
- Getting up consistently at 6:00am to read my Bible and pray for my day, my family, and my employees.
- Praying with my wife twice daily about our marriage, our family, and our business.
- Ending my day with my wife sharing a Bible-based daily devotion together.
In 2016, I brought more peace into my life and marriage by...
- Spending dinners with my wife talking and not watching TV.
- Vacationing with my wife where no cell phone would work – a cruise and the mountains with our grandchildren in a cabin.
- Focusing on my family and the needs of others instead of focusing on myself.
- Eliminating fun and scheduled, albeit excessively stressful, activities.
In 2016, I improved my life physically by...
- Walking with my wife 3 times a week.
- Drinking very little caffeine – by limiting my Mountain Dew to ½ a can a day.
- Going to bed consistently so I stayed rested all year long – which limited my crankiness.
In 2016, I was stretched professionally by:
- Working smarter instead of harder.
- Working less than 50 hours a week.
- Focusing my attention on clients who wanted to be helped, and not on all those who needed help, but didn’t want it.
- Investing in my employees each week by encouraging them and praying with them.
All in all, 2016 was an amazing year. So much was accomplished, yet I feel refreshed.
What does your 2016 look like in retrospect? Plan it now.
If you need help in this area, I can help. Sometimes it is much easier looking at things from the outside. Feel free to email me at Jim@iWork4Him.com.
About the Author, Jim Brangenberg
Jim's Mission: To transform Christian-run businesses through mentoring Christian Business Owners (CBOs) by incorporating the servant leadership of Jesus Christ in their businesses, their home life and their walk with Christ.
On Friday 1/1/16, we did a radio show with this whole paradigm in mind. Listen in to the podcast '2016 – A Year in Review'.